|Moses Gulesian cabinet card|
In two of the earliest entries on our blog, guest author Donald J. Tellalian shared some of his research on Moses Gulesian, who was the manufacturer of the lion and unicorn statues that were placed on the Old State House in 1901. Back in July, we did not have an image of Gulesian to include with the blog entries, so imagine our happy surprise when we opened up the time capsule and found this well-preserved cabinet card depicting Gulesian. It was a treat to include a photograph of the man who was so important to the restoration of the lion and unicorn in the exhibit.
|Group photograph of 1900-1901 restoration team|
|S.D. Rogers and John Silver business cards|
Lastly, the display includes a piece of the wooden lion statue that was removed from the Old State House in 1900. The wooden lion and unicorn statues were placed atop the Old State House in 1882, and within less than 20 years they needed to be replaced by the copper ones made by Gulesian and his team. We do not know where the wooden statues ended up, so we feel lucky that a piece of the unicorn was included in the time capsule.
|Piece of wooden lion statue, removed from the Old State House in 1901|
By Elizabeth Roscio, Library and Archives Manager